Translate

Friday, May 05, 2017

Departure

Thomas Shepherd was the author of the original hymn that became the basis of Must Jesus bear the Cross Alone. While searching for information on Shepherd, I found the following hymn: 

XXVI. Departure. L. M.

1. I had a Lord, but Ah, he’s gone, 
And left my troubled Soul alone: 
Him I pursue with begging Eyes; 
Alas, he disregards my Cries. 

2. I bid my Sighs my Griefs declare, 
He counts my Sighs for empty Air; 
So, like a wither’d Flower I mourn; 
Nor can look up till he return.

3. O thou lov’d Object of my Soul, 
Thou, my Physician, make me whole; 
Those whom thy Absence makes to grieve, 
Thy Presence only can relieve. 

4. Sure Sin’s the Cause; but tho’ it be, 
Thou pitiest Sinners -- pity me! 
Lord, I have read thy Blood was spilt 
To wash away the Sinner’s Guilt. 

5. If every Sin was guilt of Blood, 
And I mark’d out for Vengeance stood, 
I’d run, and to the Saviour kneel; 
The Saviour knows what Sinners feel! 

6. My pitying Friends would yield Content 
To me thus lost in Banishment; 
None but my Lord can ease my Pain, 
All other Helpers help in vain.

No comments: