- 100 years: Social gospel pioneer's legacy discussed -- "Rauschenbusch reminds us that even worthy issues pursued with the best of intentions can eventually distract us, drawing us away from the important task of sharing the Gospel with those around us."
- Corporate Prayer Is More than Your Personal Quiet Time -- "...our spirituality has become extremely privatized, highly individualistic, inimical to commitments, and quite ethically indifferent."
- David Gushee: Our “differences are unbridgeable” -- "Gushee is absolutely right about this. We have “incommensurable differences” and the differences are indeed “unbridgeable.”"
- Georgia pastor tapped to lead Baptist History and Heritage Society -- "The longtime pastor of a Cooperative Baptist Fellowship church has been named next executive director of Baptist History and Heritage Society."
- Has Preaching Changed since the Early Church? -- "...when I read the sermons of these practitioners of expository preaching, I cannot help but notice that their preaching appears rather alien to what is today thought of as expository."
- How do you know you’re not living in a computer simulation? -- "The brain-in-a-vat thought experiment and the challenge of scepticism has also been employed in popular culture."
- Kentucky court hands Christian business owner huge victory in fight to preserve religious freedom -- "Blaine Adamson, the business owner, told the Human Rights Commission in 2014 that printing the T-shirts and spreading same-sex values would violate his Christian beliefs."
- Pharaoh's daughter remains uncovered in Egypt -- "Archaeologists in Egypt have uncovered what is believed to be the 3,700-year-old burial chamber of a pharaoh's daughter."
- Southern Baptists and Conventional and Cosmopolitan Cultures -- "Underneath the surface of most of our convention’s arguments and debates is the fact that we are a single denomination with overlapping cultures. Yes, there are debates over doctrine. Yes, there is contention over methodology. But in my view, most often the differences are cultural, which is why they are so difficult to resolve."
- Telling the story of my departure from American evangelicalism -- "I also believe that attempting to keep the dialogue going is mainly fruitless. The differences are unbridgeable. They are articulated daily in endless social media loops."
- The Importance of Reading Black and Brown Authors -- "As a black/brown professor of New Testament Interpretation at a predominately white seminary, I often ask my students whether they’ve ever read a non-white author."
- The Dangers of Study Bibles and Why I Prefer Plain Text Bibles -- "Dr. Hendricks taught us that observing the text was the most important part of Bible study."
- The Translation Issue... Some Perspectives -- "We believe that a balanced translation philosophy is that a translation needs to be as literal as possible, but free when necessary."
- Three Reasons to Do an Internet Detox -- "On January 1, 2017, I made a New Year’s resolution to make my Sundays Internet free."
- Why It’s Consistent To Be Pro-Gun And Pro-Life -- "The nexus between the right to keep and bear arms and affirming the right to life is the right to self-defense."
Saturday, May 20, 2017
100 years, and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.