Translate

Friday, May 19, 2017

Child of the King

Cindy Walker of Mart, Texas (1917-2006), perhaps best known as a country-and-western songwriter, wrote both words and music to Child of the King.[i] Jim Reeves “recorded many of Walker’s compositions; she often wrote specifically for him and offered him the right of first refusal of her tracks.”[ii] Though successful in secular music, Walker was a Christian who remained true to her roots and was active in her church. She compiled a book of her gospel songs called Of Thee We Sing.[iii] Gospel music teacher and composer Franklin Lycurgus “F.L.” Eiland was Walker’s maternal grandfather. Child of the King has been recorded numerous times, including by The Speer Family, Skeeter Davis and The Cathedrals.

Once I was clothed in the rags of my sin,
Wretched and poor, lost and lonely within;
But with wondrous compassion the King of all Kings
In pity and love took me under his wing.

Chorus: Oh yes, oh yes, I’m a child of the King,
His royal blood now flows in my veins;
And I who was wretched and poor now can sing,
Praise God, Praise God, I’m a child of the King.

Now I’m a child with a heavenly home,
My holy father has made me his own;
Now I’m cleansed by his blood and I’m clothed in his love
And someday I’ll sing with the angels above.

Oh yes, oh yes, I’m a child of the King,
His royal blood now flows in my veins;
And I who was wretched and poor now can sing,
Praise God, Praise God, I’m a child of the King.

Another popular “Child of the King”-themed song was written by Harriet Eugenia Buell (1834-1910) in 1877:[iv]

My Father is rich in houses and lands,
He holdeth the wealth of the world in His hands!
Of rubies and diamonds, of silver and gold,
His coffers are full, He has riches untold.

Refrain:
I’m a child of the King,
A child of the King:
With Jesus my Savior,
I’m a child of the King.

In fact, “Child of the King” is the blessed theme that repeats in many Christian songs.


[i] An anonymous Baptist Board member using the handle “Jerome” pointed me to some authoritative sources for this attribution, and I afterward found some others.
[ii] Cindy Walker, The Dean of Texas Songwriting; Texas legend Willie Nelson paid tribute to Texas legend Cindy Walker with his album You Don’t Know Me: Songs of Cindy Walker
[iv] Buell contributed a number of poems to the Northern Christian Advocate (a Methodist journal). This one was first printed in February 1, 1877. John B. Sumner found the poem and set it to music.

No comments: