Hymn by Anne Steele
1. When sins and fears prevailing rise,
And fainting hope almost expires,
Jesus, to thee I lift my eyes,
To thee I breathe my soul’s desires.
2. Art thou not mine, my living Lord?
And can my hope – my comfort die,
Fixed on thy everlasting word,
That word which built the earth and sky?
3. If my immortal Saviour lives,
Then my immortal life is sure;
His word a firm foundation gives;
Here let me build and rest secure.
4. Here let my faith unshaken dwell;
Immovable the promise stands;
Not all the powers of earth or hell
Can e’er dissolve the sacred bands.
5. Here, O my soul, thy trust repose;
If Jesus is for ever mine,
Not death itself, that last of foes,
Shall break a union so divine.
#980 Gadsby’s Selection