Translate

Sunday, August 14, 2016

When sins and fears prevailing rise

Hymn by Anne Steele

1. When sins and fears prevailing rise,
            And fainting hope almost expires,
            Jesus, to thee I lift my eyes,
            To thee I breathe my soul’s desires.

2.  Art thou not mine, my living Lord?
            And can my hope – my comfort die,
            Fixed on thy everlasting word,
            That word which built the earth and sky?

3. If my immortal Saviour lives,
            Then my immortal life is sure;
            His word a firm foundation gives;
            Here let me build and rest secure.

4. Here let my faith unshaken dwell;
            Immovable the promise stands;
            Not all the powers of earth or hell
            Can e’er dissolve the sacred bands.

5. Here, O my soul, thy trust repose;
            If Jesus is for ever mine,
            Not death itself, that last of foes,
            Shall break a union so divine.

#980 Gadsby’s Selection

No comments: