Translate

Monday, August 15, 2016

Testimony of D. R. Murphy

Testimony of D. R. MURPHY (1802-1875)
Pioneer of the Baptist Cause in Southwest Missouri

D. R. Murphy grew up amidst evil companions and customs, and he became a willing participant in drinking, dancing, card playing, etc. He was converted in 1832 at age 20. He says, “While under conviction, I retired to the lonely grove between sunset and dark, and while prostrate on my guilty breast, pleading with the Lord for the salvation of my soul, I saw that my condemnation was just, and thought surely hell was my doom. I resolved to resign myself to the will of God without reserve. This done, ere I was aware, I felt something with the speed of lightning, as it were, flash over me; my feelings were strange indeed, all was peace, and while I mused the fire of God’s eternal love kindled within me, and I leaped from the earth joyful and happy.”

Originally from The History of the Polk County Baptist Association by J. W. Haines, as published in The Baptist Waymark, Vol. IV, No. 1, Jan-Feb 1996, p. 4

No comments: