- Christian Life Hymnal, 2006: Kudos and quibbles -- "Anyhow, I recommend it for hymn-sings of a nostalgic bent."
- Contemporary Worship Styles Hinder the Unity of the Church -- "Recognizing that, and in a misguided effort to keep everyone happy, many churches have resorted to two different worship services – 'traditional' and 'contemporary'."
- Omitted Titles in New (2008) Baptist Hymnal Reflect Theological Shift -- "According to a news release, nearly half of 674 hymns in the song book are new to the Baptist Hymnal."
- Singing Across the Color Line: Reflections on The Colored Sacred Harp -- "Not intended to displace the other Sacred Harp editions in local circulation, The Colored Sacred Harp demonstrated black singers’ separate but not quite equal participation in the Sacred Harp tradition thanks to the strictures of segregation. "
- Singing from the Same Hymnal . . . In a Post-Hymnal World -- "No, there never was an official Regular Baptist hymnal. From the beginning of our movement in 1932, our churches tended to purchase nondenominational, all-purpose hymnals..."
- The Forgotten History of Black Calvinism and the Haunting of American Folk Music -- "Their story is a crucial and until-now overlooked chapter in the reinvention of black religious life during the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries."
Sunday, July 31, 2016
Christian Life Hymnal, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.