Translate

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Praise of Folly

Yesterday I noticed the recommendation of a book titled The Praise of Folly: The Enigmatic Life and Theology of C.I. Scofield by David Lutzweiler. Interested to see what it is, I did some searching online. Looks like it will be an interesting book, and I'm going to order a copy.

C. I. Scofield (1843–1921) was preacher, theologian, writer, and compiler of a the popular Scofield Reference Bible (and a soldier, lawyer, and politician before that). It was common to see his Study Bible among churches and preachers I came up amongst. It is perhaps most loved and hated for its pretributional premillennial dispensationalism. I have long since ditched Scofield's Study Bible, and I do not recommend it. (In fact, though I own several "Study Bibles" I don't regularly use any of them, or recommend them.) While searching online it became apparent that Scofield's life is the source of much controversy. Was he a saint or a scalawag, or a bit of both? Detractors point to financial and personal dealings that seem less than upright, while supporters explain that most of this was before he was converted. Some pretribulationists and anti-pretribulationalists write as if the doctrine stands or falls with the life of Scofield!

Whoever or whatever Scofield was, his signature doctrine must stand the test of the Scriptures and rise or fall with them.

Further reading, which I found while "Googling" the internet
* Book Briefs: The Praise of Folly: The Enigmatic Life and Theology of C.I. Scofield by David Lutzweiler from FundamentallyReformed.com
* C. I. Scofield - The Rest of the Story by Thomas Williamson, From the Northern Landmark Missionary Baptist Newsletter, March, 2012
* Cyrus Ingerson Scofield on Find-a-Grave.com
* From Confederate Deserter to Decorated Veteran Bible Scholar, a Master's thesis by D. Jean Rushing
* Lutzweiler's "Folly" (Part 1) by  Robert L. Sumner, Editor of The Biblical Evangelist
* Pretrib Rapture Dishonesty by Dave MacPherson
* Scofield, Cyrus Ingerson from The Handbook of Texas Online
* Wikipedia article

No comments: