Translate

Sunday, November 20, 2022

More love to thee, O Christ

Elizabeth Payson Prentiss (1818-1878) wrote this devotional hymn in 1856, at a time when her daughter was very ill.

Baptist choir director, song writer, and manufacturer William Howard Doane wrote the tune commonly found with this popular hymn. The tune is usually designated as More Love to Thee. I believe it probably first appeared in Songs of Devotion for Christian Associations in 1870, edited by Doane. Christian Songs for the Sunday School connected the thoughts of the hymn to Jesus’s statement in John 15:9, “Continue ye in my love.”

Elizabeth Prentiss was the daughter of Congregationalist preacher Edward Payson and Ann Louisa Shipman Payson. She married George Prentiss, who was also a preacher. For more information on the author, see More Love to Thee - Elizabeth Prentiss at Melody Publications.

1. More love to thee, O Christ,  More love to thee!
Hear thou the prayer I make, On bended knee:
This is my earnest plea – More love, O Christ, to thee,
More love to thee!

2. Once earthly joy I craved, Sought peace and rest,
Now thee alone I seek, Give what is best:
This all my prayer shall be – More love, O Christ, to thee,
More love to thee!

3. Let sorrow do its work, Send grief and pain,
Sweet are thy messengers, Sweet their refrain,
When they can sing with me – More love, O Christ to thee,
More love to thee!

4. Then shall my latest breath Whisper thy praise,
This be the parting cry My heart shall raise:
This still its prayer shall be – More love, O Christ, to thee,
More love to thee!

In 1873, Mrs. Prentiss wrote: “To love Christ more is the deepest need, the constant cry of my soul. Down in the bowling alley, and out in the woods, and on my bed, and out driving, when I am happy and busy, and when I am sad and idle, the whisper keeps going up for more love, more love, more love!”

No comments: