Translate

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Forth in Thy Name To Work I Go

Charles Wesley (1707–1788) wrote this hymn text (see below). He published it in Hymns and Sacred Poems: In Two Volumes, Vol. I (Bristol: Felix Farley, 1749), under the heading “Before Work.” The hymn originally had six stanzas, but most hymnals (including John Wesley’s Collection of 1780) only use five, omitting stanza 3.

The heading helps us understand that Wesley’s hymn focuses on our daily labors, our “work’ – not just those things we consider “religious.” We go forth to work in the name of the Lord (stanza 1). In our work we seek to obey God’s will (stanza 2). We seek God’s protection from “choking cares” and “worldly love” as we do our work (stanza 3).  We work at God’s command and offer all our work to God (stanza 4). In the midst of our work, we watch and pray, and look to things eternal (stanza 5). We use God’s gifts for his glory, walking with him in this life until we walk with him heaven (stanza 6).

Scriptures related to Wesley’s hymn include Psalm 16:8; Psalm 139:2; Ecclesiastes 9:10; Matthew 11:30; Matthew 26:41; Romans 12:1-2; Colossians 3:17; 1 Thessalonians 4:11.
 
This hymn appears with several different tunes in various hymnals, including Hebron by Lowell Mason.

1. Forth in thy Name, O Lord, I go,
My daily Labour to pursue;
Thee, only Thee, resolved to know
In all I think, or speak, or do.

2. The task thy Wisdom hath assigned
O let me cheerfully fulfill;
In all my works thy presence find,
And prove thy good and perfect will.

3. Preserve me from my calling’s snare,
And hide my simple heart above;
Above the thorns of choaking care
The gilded baits of worldly love.

4. Thee may I set at my right hand,
Whose eyes mine inmost substance see,
And labour on at thy command,
And offer all my works to thee.

5. Give me to bear thy easy yoke,
And every moment watch and pray;
And still to things eternal look,
And hasten to thy glorious day:

6. Fain would I still for thee employ
Whate’er thy bounteous grace hath given,
And run my course with even joy,
And closely walk with thee to Heaven.

No comments: