Translate

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Wikipedia is now Woke-ipedia

“Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.” I discovered Wikipedia around 2003 and started working as an “editor”. My first attempt at editing began with adding information about Baptists on their “List of Christian denominations” page. Therefore, my working relationship with them has been almost 20 years.

This is a “free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.” Because of that, there are negatives. Bad edits are made. On the other hand, very many articles on Wikipedia provide a quick, easy to find, and helpful entry point of research. There can be a wealth of sources in the footnotes, references, resources, and external links. Numerous blog posts I have made at “Seeking the Old Paths” include the words “According to Wikipedia.” However, future posts will not.

It probably happened long long before I noticed it – but “Wikipedia” is now “Woke-ipedia.” Political correctness expelled exactness of encyclopedic entries. Accuracy is sacrificed on the altar of expediency. If you cannot trust an encyclopedia to be accurate, you cannot trust an encyclopedia. You cannot trust Wikipedia – at least you cannot know whether you can trust it.

I discovered this a couple of weeks ago when I wanted to know Rachel Levine’s birth name. Simple. Just check good old Wikipedia. Nope. Wikipedia’s policy excludes giving the “dead-name” of a transgender person. They have to pretend that Richard Levine was born Rachel Levine, regardless of the facts. That’s a no go for me.

Henceforth Wikipedia is a “dead-name” to me. (Perhaps try Conservipedia instead.)

“A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, ‘You are mad; you are not like us.’”

No comments: