Translate

Sunday, April 24, 2022

God of mercy and compassion

The hymn below is said to be one of the songs played on the RMS Titanic while it was sinking. I cannot presently determine the author of the hymn. One Titanic story that I found online credits the words to Louis de Esch in 1810. This date cannot be correct, since the hymn was published a number of times before 1810. (The author is probably incorrect also.) The earliest I have found this hymn thus far is in A Selection of Hymns from Several of the Best Authors, designed especially as a Supplement to Dr. Watts (The Second Edition, William Roby, Wigan: W. Lyon, 1799). This is unattributed Hymn 189, beginning on page 189, in 8s.7s. Doubled Meter, and titled “Looking up to Christ in temptation.”
 
1. God of mercy and compassion, 
Look with pity on my pain, 
Hear a mournful, broken spirit, 
Prostrate at thy feet complain; 
Many are my foes and mighty, 
Strength to conquer I have none, 
Nothing can uphold my goings, 
But thy blessed self alone.

2. Saviour look on thy beloved, 
Triumph over all my foes, 
Turn to heavenly joy my mourning, 
Turn to gladness all my woes; 
Live, or die, or work, or suffer, 
Let my weary soul abide, 
In all changes whatsoever, 
Sure and steadfast by thy side.

3. When temptations fierce assault me, 
When my enemies I find, 
Sin and guilt and death and Satan, 
All against my soul combined; 
Hold me up in mighty waters, 
Keep my eyes on things above, 
Righteousness, divine atonement, 
Peace and everlasting love.

No comments: