Translate

Sunday, February 20, 2022

Jesus blood and righteousness are my glorious dress

Count Nikolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf wrote this hymn, called “Christi Blut und Gerechtigkeit,” in 1739.  He published it in the eighth appendix to Das Gesang-Buch der Gemeine in Herrn-Huth. The original German hymn by Zinzendorf had 33 stanzas. John Wesley translated 24 of those from German to English, and printed the resulting English version as “The Believer’s Triumph” in Hymns and Sacred Poems in 1740. (The stanza numbering scheme below is according to Wesley’s.)

1. Jesus, thy blood and righteousness
My beauty are, my glorious dress;
’Midst flaming worlds, in these arrayed,
With joy shall I lift up my head.
 
2. Bold shall I stand in thy great day;
For who aught to my charge shall lay?
Fully through these absolved I am
From sin and fear, from guilt and shame.
 
7. Lord, I believe the precious blood,
Which at the mercy seat of God
For ever doth for sinners plead,
For me, even for my soul was shed.
 
8. Lord, I believe, were sinners more
Than sands upon the ocean shore,
For all thou hast a ransom given,
Purchased for all, peace, life, and heaven.
 
12. When from the dust of death I rise
To claim my mansion in the skies,
Ev’n then, this shall be all my plea,
“Jesus hath lived, hath died, for me.”
 
21. Jesu, be endless praise to thee,
Whose boundless mercy hath for me—
For me, and all thy hands have made,
An everlasting ransom paid.
 
24. O let the dead now hear thy voice;
Now bid thy banished ones rejoice;
Their beauty this, their glorious dress,
Jesus, thy blood and righteousness!

Nikolaus Ludwig von Zinzendorf (1700–1760)

This hymn often appears with the tune Germany (see here also) from William Gardiner’s (1770–1853) Sacred Melodies.

No comments: