Translate

Monday, June 19, 2017

Zealous declaimers against popery, and other quotes

The posting of quotes by human authors does not constitute agreement with either the quotes or their sources. (I try to confirm the sources that I give, but may miss on occasion; please verify if possible.)

"Some of our most zealous declaimers against popery do not see how inconsistently they act in condemning Rome when dressed out in her rags." -- J. C. Philpot

"People who cannot suffer can never grow up." -- James Baldwin

"God save me from politicians, Christians, or pagans who think they are my mother!" -- Steve Brown

"One cannot make up with confidence what he thoroughly lacks in competence." -- copied

"Presuming that human beings get to edit ‘the sin list’ is pretty much the top item on the sin list." -- Bart Barber

"The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time." -- Abraham Lincoln

"The opportunity to do good imposes the obligation to do it." -- Cotton Mather

"Surrendering to God includes accepting the gender he assigned you." -- Linda Seiler (on Focus on the Family, 6/12/17)

"I spent a long time trying to come to grips with my doubts, when suddenly I realized I had better come to grips with what I believe. I have since moved from the agony of questions that I cannot answer, to the reality of answers that I cannot escape." -- Tom Skinner (As quoted by Dennis Rainey)

"The Bible is the church's prize possession. In it we find the good news of salvation. In it we learn about God and his dealings with people down through the centuries. In it we find instruction and encouragement for our lives." -- James W. Scott

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter." -- Francis Chan

"Obsession with the geographical nation into which you were born = Dissatisfaction with the eternal nation in which we can find our home." -- Bart Barber

"Godliness is profitable unto all things." -- Paul (1 Timothy 4:8)

No comments: