Translate

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Six Things about Prayer

1 Timothy 2:1-2 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
  1. Prayer is directed (to God); Psalm 5:3 My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up. (Cf. Psalm 69:13)
  2. Prayer is effective; James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (Cf. Philemon 1:22)
  3. Prayer is cooperative (with others); Romans 15:30 Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me (Cf. Acts 12:5; Revelation 8:3)
  4. Prayer is continued; Romans 1:9 For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers (Cf. Ephesians 1:16)
  5. Prayer is active; Nehemiah 4:9 Nevertheless we made our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them. (Cf. Colossians 4:2; Philemon 1:22)
  6. Prayer is heard; Psalm 65:2 O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come. (Cf. Psalm 66:19; Isaiah 1:15)

A Godliness which feeds on form,
And lip devotion, barren cheer,
Will satisfy an earthly worm,
Who learns to think and call it prayer;
Contented with the husky part,
A moving lip and silent heart.

O Lord, thy Spirit’s aid impart,
And fill me with devotion’s fire;
Create anew my waiting heart,
And heavenly breathings there inspire;
Bid heart and flesh cry out for thee,
And thou my joyful portion be!

Let incense smoking from my breast,
In praise and prayer ascend thy hill;
And where I rove, or where I rest,
Do thou, O God, surround me still;
My heavenly intercourse increase,
Till as a river flows my peace.

- From A Selection of Hymns for Public Worship, William Gadsby, #901

No comments: