Translate

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Why Glory in the Cross

"Why is glorying in the cross the opposite to glorying in the flesh? Because the cross, far from being the work of man, is the work of God. Far from demanding merit from man, righteousness is accounted to men. Far from requiring works from the flesh, justification is freely bestowed by Christ’s merit. Far from obliging men to earn favor, grace is freely lavished upon debtors. Far from expecting anything from sinners, everything is accomplished by Jesus Christ. Far from the curse falling upon transgressors, the curse fell upon the Substitute." -- Selected, Bulletin: Shreveport Grace Church - October 15, 2006

I'm not ashamed to own my Lord,
Or to defend his cause;
Maintain the honor of his word,
The glory of his cross.


Jesus, my God! I know his name,
His name is all my trust;
Nor will he put my soul to shame,
Nor let my hope be lost.


Firm as his throne his promise stands,
And he can well secure
What I've committed to his hands
Till the decisive hour.


Then will he own my worthless name
Before his Father's face,
And in the new Jerusalem
Appoint my soul a place.


-- Hymn 103, The Psalms and Hymns of Isaac Watts

No comments: