- 6 Reasons Congregational Singing Is Waning -- "...if the desire is truly to lift all the voices before God, some things will need to change."
- 2016 Analysis of changes in song choices from The Sacred Harp (Denson Revision) -- "What songs were lead the most in 2016? Which the least? Which none at all? What were the top gainers and losers? How stable are the song choices compared to 1995 and 2015?"
- AACH1957: All-American Church Hymnal, 11th ed. -- "The publisher, Benson, is one I generally admire more when the notes are in seven distinct shapes than when, as here, they are all roundish."
- A Collection Of Poems To Stir The Heart Of The Believer To Prayer -- "A Godliness which feeds on form...Will satisfy an earthly worm"
- A Corpus-Based Model of Harmonic Function in Shape-Note Hymnody -- "...while shape-note hymnody is predominantly tonal, this music’s harmonic priorities are clearly different than common-practice tonality’s."
- Dick Clark Productions rejects Mariah Carey's sabotage claim -- Should anyone care...
- Echoes From Sand Mountain -- "To our left the altos' unearthly wail is met, facing, by the trebles' ringing hoot and the tenors' strong lead at the right hand."
- 'Ellen' Show Boots Gospel Singer Kim Burrell for Comments on Homosexuality -- "...in a Facebook Live video on Friday Burrell referred to unspecified "enemies" for spreading only a portion of her speech."
- Everybody Sings...the Sacred Harp Way -- "Journeying along Judge Logue Road in Wicksburg on a late spring afternoon, motorists often hear the sound of music."
- The small town of Arley, Alabama has a long and strong tradition with Sacred Harp Music -- "Orin Adolphus Parris, who resided in Winston County, became a major figure in southern music as a publisher, teacher, and composer in varied styles for the Sacred Harp, Christian Harmony, and shape-note convention music."
- What If I Don’t Want to Sing? -- "We have the privilege, in a way, to open our mouths for the mute. You may not want to sing, but the person next to you, in front of you, or behind you may need you to sing."
Tuesday, January 03, 2017
6 Reasons, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.