Translate

Friday, March 04, 2022

Whither have we come?

Whither have we come? Swift, safe, and sanitary “Supper,” but is it the Lord’s?

Luke 9:23-24 And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.

We Christians in the United States might well be called Christianity-lite, or diet Christianity. The comments on this post suggest we are not ready to deny ourselves and take up a cross, but rather prefer what is convenient and safe, and come to communion with at least a wee bit of irreverence.

The not-too-much Fellowship Cup ® sold by Lifeway (and many others, I expect) is advertised as “Prefilled” and “Ready to Serve,” with “Easy Access to Elements” that provides “‘One Pass’ Serving.” No refrigeration is needed! And it’s “guaranteed to be fresh” (if used by the date stamped on the box)![i] What more could the modern Christian ask for to knock out a quick communion and get home to watch the game or hurry to a favorite restaurant? Key take-aways I saw in the comments:
  • convenient
  • health and safety
  • saves lots of time
In addition, one comment reveals a disdain for church communion itself, which might be an underlying part of the problem.
“I can ‘do this’ by remembering Him whenever I eat or drink. No officiant or rules to adhere to...”
Now, I am not opposed to sanitation and care, but have we gone a bit nuts? When I was a child the church passed one cup from which all the participants drank. There were no mass outbreaks of disease and death, though it is possible that someone got sick in the process. You can get sick at the game, in the restaurant, and at Wal-Mart, too. I notice many who have changed their church practices have not changed those other practices. In the latest issue of Voice of Faith, Glen Stuart censured the general Covid-era trend, “It cannot be justified to venture out into the world for six days and neglect the church on the Lord’s Day.”

’Twas for my sins my dearest Lord hung on the cursed tree, and groaned away a dying life for thee, my soul, for thee! He gave his back to the smiters, and his cheeks to them that plucked off the hair. They pierced his hands and his feet. Jesus bare our sins in his own body on the tree, in pain and agony and blood. Yet when we remember his death, we want it to be painless – prepackaged, safe, sanitary, and soon over with? Shame.

Call me old-fashioned (I know you already have), but there is something significant to be said for beginning the communion service reverently with the scriptural symbol of one body / one loaf and one cup. And perhaps, just perhaps, we also should take our time observing the Lord’s Supper rather than saving lots of time?



[i] However, TrueVine Chalice Prefilled Communion Cup is “easier and quieter to open.” It has an “elegant shape” as well.

No comments: