Translate

Friday, March 04, 2022

In Remembrance of our Lord

 ...in some hymns.

1. ’Twas on that dark, that doleful night
When powers of earth and hell arose
Against the Son of God's delight
And friends betrayed him to his foes.
2. Before the mournful scene began,
He took the bread and blessed and brake.
What love through all his actions ran!
What wondrous words of grace he spake!
3. “This Is my body, broke for sin;
Receive and eat the living food”;
Then took the cup and blessed the wine:
“Tis the new covenant in my blood.”
4. “Do this,” he said, “till time shall end,
In memory of your dying Friend.
Meet at my table and record
The love of your departed Lord.”
5. Jesus, thy feast we celebrate;
We show thy death, we sing thy name,
Till thou return and we shall eat
The marriage supper of the Lamb. (Isaac Watts)

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown? (Isaac Watts)

See the cross, the cross of Jesus,
Crimson with his own life’s blood;
Thus he died, lest we should perish,
Wondrous love! Thou Son of God. (Silas G. Odell)

Thou Man of grief, remember me,
Thou never canst thyself forget.
Thy last expiring agony,
Thy fainting pangs and bloody sweat. (Charles Wesley)

Alas, and did my Savior bleed
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?

Was it for sins that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity, grace unknown
And love beyond degree. (Isaac Watts)

As on the Cross the Saviour hung 
And wept, and bled, and died, 
He poured salvation on a wretch 
That languished at his side. (Samuel Stennett)

Agonizing in the garden,
Lo! your Master prostrate lies;
On the bloody tree behold him,
Hear him cry before he dies;
“It is finished!”
Sinners will this not suffice? (Joseph Hart)

There he bled and died, an off’ring
For the world of sinners lost;
Oh, what pangs his visage marring!
Sinner, this thy soul has cost. (Daniel S. Warner)

He the true David, Israel’s King,
Blessed and loved of God,
To save us rebels dead in sin,
Paid his own dearest blood. (Isaac Watts)

I’m not ashamed to own my Lord
Or to defend his cause;
Maintain the honor of his word,
The glory of his cross. (Isaac Watts)

Must Jesus bear the cross alone,
And all the world go free?
No, there’s a cross for everyone,
And there’s a cross for me. (Thomas Shepherd)

No comments: