Translate

Sunday, October 17, 2021

Whate’er my God ordains is right

I posted this Hymn by Samuel Rodigast back in 2016, but did not give any information about it. “Whate’er my God ordains is right” is an excellent hymn about submission to the will of God. What God does, he does well (Mark 7:37), and he will never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5).
 
Samuel Rodigast (1649-1708) is the author of “Whate’er my God ordains is right,” which was written circa 1675-76. He was a German teacher and hymn writer, the son of Johann Rodigast. According to Julian, his father was the Lutheran pastor at Groben near Jena, and Samuel attended the Gymnasium in Weimar, then studied at the University of Jena.
 
Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878) translated this hymn into English. She was a skillful English translator of German hymns, creating pleasing verse that was faithful to the originals. Many of her translations remain in use today. John Julian calls her “the foremost in rank and popularity” of modern translators from the German into English.
 
This hymn seems consistently to appear with Was Got Tutt (from the first line “Was Gott tut, das ist wohlgetan,” i.e., “What God does is well done”), a tune attributed to Severus Gastorius (1647-1682 ). It is said that Rodigast wrote the hymn to cheer up Gastorius when he was sick. The meter of the hymn – 8.7.8.7.4.4.8.8. – is somewhat unusual or uncommon in English hymn meter, limiting the tune choices. Gastorius probably wrote the tune to match the hymn.
 
1. Whate’er my God ordains is right: 
His holy will abideth; 
I will be still whate’er he doth; 
And follow where he guideth. 
He is my God:
though dark my road. 
He holds me that I shall not fall. 
And so to him I leave it all.
 
2. Whate’er my God ordains is right: 
He never will deceive me. 
He leads me by the proper path; 
I know he will not leave me. 
I take, content,
what he hath sent. 
His hand can turn my griefs away, 
And patiently I wait his day.

3. Whate’er my God ordains is right, 
Though now this cup, in drinking, 
May bitter seem to my faint heart, 
I take it all, unshrinking. 
My God is true;
each morn anew. 
Sweet comfort yet shall fill my heart, 
And pain and sorrow shall depart. 

4. Whate’er my God ordains is right. 
Here shall my stand be taken. 
Though sorrow, need, or death be mine, 
Yet am I not forsaken. 
My Father’s care 
is round me there. 
He holds me that I shall not fall, 
And so to him I leave it all.

No comments: