Translate

Thursday, October 07, 2021

The verb ending "-edst"

On Wednesday, i7sharp inquired about the verb ending "-edst" that is found in the King James translation. He had found my post about the Use of "-est" and "-eth" in the KJV. In that post, I did not consider or discuss the use of "-edst". I looked up some of the words he mentioned, and found a few others.[i] What follows is a tentative conclusion based on the examples I examined.

As best I can tell the "-edst" ending is only used for the second person singular when it is past tense. So it is matched with the “thou” pronoun. However, "-edst" is not always used in such cases. For example, in Genesis 49:4, both "-est" and "-edst" are used with the past tense (wentest and defiledst).[ii] Perhaps it is used only where it is needed to distinguish between the past and present – e.g. anointest vs. anointedst.

Here are some of the verses i7sharp mentioned plus some that I found that use the "-edst" ending. If you know of other examples, please share them.

The English language is a language full of irregular verbs. It has many exceptions to its rules. There probably are some exceptions to the above “rule”. It needs more research, but this is a small beginning.

[i] I could not figure out how to search for just the "-edst" ending in the program I use. I also tried using Google to search it and a few others, but that did not work either. 
[ii] The past is already in the form “went’ without a need for the “ed”.
[iii] “Defiled” is used in 70 verses in the King James Bible – with he, they, the 3rd person singular and plural.

No comments: