Translate

Sunday, October 24, 2021

Jesus the Pilot

From, The Baptist Praise Book, 1871

Edward Hopper (1816-1888) is the author of this hymn, “Jesus the Pilot”. In 7s. meter in 6 lines, the original hymn had six stanzas. Most songbooks use only three or four – the stanzas listed below as 1, 2, 5, and 6, or just 1, 5, and 6. Hopper dated his hymn March 3, 1871. It appeared in The Sailor’s Magazine and Seaman’s Friend (April 1871, Vol. 43, No. 4, p. 119) with the title Jesus, Saviour, Pilot Me. (Several sources I found say that the hymn appeared anonymously, but the online copy shows it under his name.) The song (hymn with tune) appeared in The Baptist Praise Book in 1871 (No. 1272, page 516).
 
Hopper was a Presbyterian minister who attended New York University and Union Theological Seminary in New York. In addition, he was an author and poet. He pastored several churches, including the Church of Sea and Land in New York City harbor from 1869 until his death in 1888. This was a church for sailors. Hopper weaves his knowledge of the sea, the account of Jesus stilling the storm on Galilee (Matthew 8:23-27; Mark 4:35-41; Luke 8:22-25) with the themes of God’s sovereignty, protection, and providence.
 
John Edgar Gould (1821-1875) composed a tune, usually called Pilot, for Hopper’s hymn. Gould was born in Bangor, Maine. He died traveling in Algiers, Africa. He was a musician, composer, and managed music stores. Gould compiled eight songbooks.
 
1. Jesus, Saviour, pilot me,
Over life’s tempestuous sea:
Unknown waves before me roll,
Hiding rocks and treach’rous shoal;
Chart and compass come from Thee–
Jesus, Saviour, pilot me!
 
2. When the apostles’ fragile bark
Struggled in the billows dark,
On the stormy Galilee,
Thou didst walk upon the sea;
And when they beheld the form,
Safe they glided through the storm.
 
3. Though the sea be smooth and bright,
Sparkling with the stars of night,
And my ship’s path be ablaze
With the light of halcyon days,
Still I know my need of thee:
Jesus, Saviour, pilot me.
 
4. When the darkling heavens frown,
And the wrathful winds come down,
And the fierce waves, tossed on high,
Lash themselves against the sky,
Jesus, Saviour, pilot me
Over life’s tempestuous sea.
 
5. As a mother stills her child,
Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
Boist’rous waves obey Thy will
When Thou say’st to them, “Be still!”
Wondrous Sov’reign of the sea,
Jesus, Saviour, pilot me!
 
6. When at last I near the shore,
And the fearful breakers roar
’Twixt me and the peaceful rest–
Then, while leaning on Thy breast,
May I hear Thee say to me,
“Fear not– I will pilot thee!”


The Chicago Tribune, April 24, 1888, page 3

No comments: