Translate

Saturday, August 21, 2021

I refuse to join, and other quotes

The posting of quotes by human authors does not constitute agreement with either the quotes or their sources. (I try to confirm the sources that I give, but may miss on occasion; please verify if possible.)

“I refuse to join any group that would have me as a member.” -- Julius Henry “Groucho” Marx

“Minding other people’s business seems to be high-toned; I got all that I can do just to mind my own.” --  Hank Williams

“Genealogy, begins as an interest, becomes a hobby, continues as an avocation and, in the last stages, is an incurable disease.” -- Author Unknown

“This Bible is for the government of the people, by the people, and for the people.” -- sometimes attributed (incorrectly) to John Wycliffe

“The Bible is the book of the people; and with the Bible in their hands, they will never submit to the tyranny of a spiritual despotism.” -- Life and Times of John de Wycliffe, p. 114

“You can’t talk to people about Jesus if you don’t talk to people.” -- Heard

“Facts are like a recipe; truth is the meal.” -- Adrian Rogers

“The beggars cheer for every dish.” -- Heard on the radio

“The Lord instructed many to preach the gospel, but he inspired only four to write the Gospels.”

“The God who came to us in ordinary flesh comes to us in ordinary ways on ordinary days. Too often we miss it because we were expecting something spectacular.” (Cf. 1 Kings 19:11-13)

No comments: