Translate

Sunday, August 15, 2021

I’d Rather Have Jesus

In 1922, Rhea Florence Ross Miller reflected on her father’s testimony of his deliverance from the power of alcohol. She recalled how he testified that he would rather have Jesus than all the gold and silver in the world. He said he would rather have Jesus than all the houses and land that money could buy. That reflection led to what would become the well-known song I’d Rather Have Jesus.
 
Rhea Miller (1894-1966) was born in Onondaga County, New York, the daughter of Martin J. Ross and Bertha Pritz. In 1917 she married Howard Vasser Miller. According to the Wesleyan-Holiness Digital Library, H. V. Miller “was a minister and general superintendent in the Church of the Nazarene…joined the Church of the Nazarene in 1922…[and]…served as pastor, district superintendent, and college professor until his election to the general superintendency in 1940.” Among many other things, Rhea Miller taught piano. She also wrote at least a few other hymns.
 
George Beverly Shea (1909-2013) wrote the music of I’d Rather Have Jesus circa 1932. He copyrighted the music in 1939. In his book How Sweet the Sound, Shea describes the circumstances in this way, his discovering a poem by the piano one Sunday.
“At the age of twenty-three, I was living at home with my parents, continuing to work at Mutual Life Insurance and studying voice. Going to the piano one Sunday morning, I found a poem waiting for me there. I recognized my mother’s handwriting. She had copied the words of a poem by Mrs. Rhea F. Miller, knowing that I would read the beautiful message, which speaks of choice. As I read these precious words: ‘I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause. I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause.’ I found myself singing the words in a melody that expressed the feelings of my heart.”
Shea’s association with Billy Graham and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association (from 1947 to 2013) doubtless helped boost the recognition and popularity of I’d Rather Have Jesus. It has been recorded by many well-known artists, including Jim Reeves.
 
1. I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands.
I’d rather be led by His nail pierced hand:
 
2. I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame.
I’d rather be true to His holy name:
 
3. He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs.
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead:
 
Chorus:
Than to be the king of a vast domain
Or be held in sin’s dread sway.
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

No comments: