When you arrive in Burleson, you won’t be in Burleson County. You’ll have to go to Caldwell to be there. But if you want to be in Caldwell County, you’ll need to go to Lockhart! Texas is a big place, and we have our “normal” names, where city and county names match -- like Goliad in Goliad County, Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County and Refugio in Refugio County, or Brownwood in Brown County, Floydada in Floyd County and Jacksboro in Jack County. On the other hand, we failed many times to get the right city in the right county! For examples:
- Athens is a city in Henderson County, Texas, while Henderson is in Rusk County, and Rusk is in Cherokee County.
- Beaumont is in Jefferson County, while Jefferson is in Marion County, and Marion is in Guadalupe County.
- Bellville is in Austin County, while Austin in Travis County, and Travis is in Falls County.
- Brownsville is in Cameron County, while Cameron is in Milam County, and Milam is in Sabine County.
- Lockhart is in Caldwell County, while Caldwell is in Burleson County, and Burleson is in Johnson County.
- Ozona is in Crockett County, while Crockett is in Houston County, and Houston is in Harris County.
- Plains is in Yoakum County, while Yoakum is in Lavaca County, and Lavaca (now Port Lavaca) is in Calhoun County.
- Sonora is in Sutton County, while Sutton is in Robertson County, and Robertson is in Jasper County.
- Woodville is in Tyler County, while Tyler in Smith County, and Smith is in Wood County.