Translate

Sunday, November 02, 2014

The Rock in hymns

1 Corinthians 10:4 ...and that Rock was Christ.

God is our Rock, both literally and spiritually. The "Rock" metaphor has been the subject of and/or alluded to in many Christian hymns. Here are excerpts from quite a few of them (but by no means approaching exhaustive). I have used two lines to give the gist of the reference, unless in a few cases I thought I needed more.

But calm and sure, I stand secure,
Upon the Rock of Ages.

Dear name! the rock on which I build,
My shield and hiding place;

On the Rock of Ages founded,
Who can shake thy sure repose?

For we our voices high should raise,
When our salvation’s Rock we praise.

O’erwhelmed with sorrows for sin I will cry,
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.

On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
all other ground is sinking sand.

Standing on the Rock of Ages,
No need have we to fear.

O Rock of Refuge, Saviour, Friend,
O’er me Thy shelt’ring arms extend

We have a Rock, a safe retreat,
A shelter in the time of storm.

In the Rock of Ages hiding,
I have found a sure retreat.

O Builders! haste to the rock alone;
‘Tis Jesus Christ the corner stone.

The Lord liveth and blessed be my Rock
Let the God of my salvation be exalted.

Source and Sovereign, Rock and Cloud,
Fortress, Fountain, Shelter, Light, 
Judge, Defender, Mercy, Might, 
Life whose life all life endowed:

O Rock of Ages, one foundation,
On which the living church doth rest.

In Zion’s Rock abiding,
My soul her triumph sings.

We have an anchor that keeps the soul
Steadfast and sure while the billows roll;
Fastened to the Rock which cannot move...

When the storm around me rages
Rock of ages hide thou me.

Our Rock stands firm, though wild the storm

Standing on the solid Rock
Safe from every tempest shock.

Christ, my rock, my sure defense,
Jesus, my Redeemer liveth.

To me He said: "Stay close to Me,
I am your rock and castle."

Hide me over in the Rock of Ages,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me.

The Rock of Israel ever lives,
His name be ever blessed.

In our weakness and distress,
Rock of strength, be Thou our Stay.

Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see.

Just are your ways, and true your word,
Great Rock of my secure abode.

Supreme in wisdom as in power
The Rock of Ages stands.

Is he a rock? How firm he proves!
The Rock of ages never moves.

No comments: