Translate

Friday, February 20, 2009

Union, by Trott

"Does union consist in being mingled together as the opposite parties of a controversy? For my own part I am free to acknowledge that I admire the spirit manifested and the course proposed by Abraham, when he said to Lot, "Let there be no strife between me and thee and between my herdmen and thy herdman; for we are brethren. Is not the whole land before thee? Separate thyself I pray thee, from me." Genesis 23:2-9. This example I would recommend to my brethren in Virginia and elsewhere, so far as the strife has extended; not for the purpose of of disunion, but to prevent strife.

"Let us say to those whom we have called 'brethren', but who are only our brethren's children, let us not remain together to keep up controversy, let us separate.

"I certainly think with the wise man that; "It is better to dwell in a corner of the house top, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house." - Proverbs 21:9. Whether this course is not more congenial with the spirit of the Gospel than to continue together in strife, judge ye.

"We urge upon our brethren to take the Bible as their only standard both of faith and practice, to turn to it for instruction, and to practice what and as the Master has said. We go to no higher antiquity than Christ and His apostles for authority, neither stop we short of that."
-- Samuel Trott in Does Union consist in being mingled together? 1833

2 comments:

Stephen Garrett said...

Dear Brother Vaughn:

You read and are familiar with Hardshell Trott?

Blessings,

Stephen

R. L. Vaughn said...

Brother Garrett, yes, I am familiar with Samuel Trott in the sense of knowing of him as an Old School Baptist, his connections with Beebe, etc. But I have not read that much of what he has written.