Translate

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

King James Whole Marginal Notes

In An Exhaustive Listing of the Marginal Notes of the 1611 edition of the King James Bible Calvin George wrote, “At least 9 entire verses were rewritten in marginal notes.” In his Lesson 212 The AV 1611: Examining The Marginal Notes, Bryan Ross mentioned this comment by George. Alex Hanna compiled a list of all such verses at the Literatura Bautista web site. (He found twelve.)

Twelve Whole Verse Alternative Renderings
  1. 1 Samuel 3:7 Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, neither was the word of the LORD yet revealed unto him: Or, thus did Samuel, before he knew the LORD; and before the word of the LORD was revealed unto him
  2. 2 Kings 19:25 Hast thou not heard long ago how I have done it, and of ancient times that I have formed it? now have I brought it to pass, that thou shouldest be to lay waste fenced cities into ruinous heaps: Or, Hast thou not heard how I have made it long ago, and formed it of ancient times? Should I now bring it to be laid waist, and fenced cities to be ruinous heaps?
  3. Job 19:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Or, After I shall awake though this body be destroyed, yet out of my flesh shall I see God
  4. Job 40:24 He taketh it with his eyes: his nose pierceth through snares: Or, will any take him in his sight? or bore his nose with a ginn?
  5. Psalm 120:3 What shall be given unto thee?: Or, what shall the deceitful tongue give unto thee? or what shall it profit thee?
  6. Psalm 120:4 Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper: Or, It is as the sharp arrows of the mighty man with coals of juniper
  7. Psalm 121:1 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help: Or, shall I lift up mine eyes to the hills? whence should my help come?
  8. Proverbs 17:10 A reproof entereth more into a wise man, than an hundred stripes into a fool: Or, a reproof aweth more a wise man, then to strike a fool an hundred times
  9. Proverbs 25:23 The North wind driveth away rain, so doeth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue: Or, The North wind bringeth forth rain, so doeth a backbiting tongue, an angry countenance
  10. Proverbs 26:10 The great God that formed all things both rewardeth the fool, and rewardeth transgressors: Or, a great man grieveth all, and he hireth the fool, he hireth also transgressors
  11. Isaiah 37:26 Hast thou not heard long ago, how I have done it; and of ancient times, that I have formed it? now have I brought it to pass, that thou shouldest be to lay waste defenced cities into ruinous heaps: Or, Hast thou not heard how I have made it long ago, and formed it of ancient times? Should I now bring it to be laid waste, and defenced cities to be ruinous heaps?
  12. 2 Timothy 2:6 The husbandman that laboureth, must be first partaker of the fruits: Or, the husbandman laboring first must be partaker of the fruits
Ten *Honorable Mentions* (either most of the verse, “Or” or “More Literal”)
  • Exodus 32:29 For Moses had said, Consecrate yourselves today to the LORD, even every man upon his son, and upon his brother: Or, And Moses said, Consecrate yourselves today to the LORD, because every man hath been against his son, and against his brother, etc
  • 2 Samuel 20:18 They were wont to speak in old time, saying, They shall surely ask counsel at Abel: and so they ended the matter: Or, they plainly spake in the beginning, saying, surely they will ask of Abel; and so make an end
  • 1 Chronicles 21:20 And Ornane turned back and saw the Angel, and his four sons with him hid themselves: Or, When Ornan turned back, and saw the Angel, then he and his four sons with him, hid themselves
  • Jeremiah 25:35 And the shepherds shall have no way to flee, nor the principal of the flock to escape: Heb. flight shall perish from the shepherds, and escaping from, etc.
  • Amos 2:13 I am pressed under you, as a cart is pressed that is full of sheaves: Or, I will press your place as a cart full of sheaves presseth
  • Psalm 89:18 the LORD is our defense, and the holy One of Israel is our king: Or, our shield is of the LORD, and our king is of the holy One of Israel
  • Psalm 140:11 evil speaker be established in the earth, evil shall hunt the violent man to overthrow him: Heb. a man of tongue, or, an evil speaker, a wicked man of violence be established in the earth, let him be hunted to his overthrow
  • Psalm 141:5 Let the righteous smite me, it shall be a kindness, and let him reprove me, it shall be an excellent oil, which shall not break my head: Or, let the righteous smite me kindly, and reprove me, let not their precious oil break my head, etc.
  • Jeremiah 18:14 the snow of Lebanon which cometh from the rock of the field? or shall the cold flowing waters that come from another place be forsaken?: Or, my fields for a rock, or for the snow of Lebanon? shall the running waters be forsaken for the strange cold waters?
  • Hebrews 2:16 took not on him the nature of Angels, but he took on him the seed of Abraham: Gr. he taketh not hold of Angels, but of the seed of Abraham he taketh hold

On October 29, 2023, Brian Ross updated this with the lesson The AV 1611: Examining The Marginal Notes (Complete & Partial Verse Rewrites) with associated PDF notes.

No comments: