Translate

Friday, January 12, 2024

Spirit or Light? Ephesians 5:9

It is to be expected that when we write polemically, we try to put our own position in the best light. Some Bible translations write their text-critical notes to put their position in the best light. While I expect them to believe what they produce, nevertheless it seems that text-critical notes should be aimed more at education than disputation. What am I talking about?

This is often seen in comments on Mark 16:9-20, where it is pointed out that this text is “not in the oldest and best manuscripts.” They most often do not clarify they are only talking about two manuscripts, both of which have quirks at the end of Mark. See, for example, Odd Features at the Ending of Mark in Codex Sinaiticus.

This type of diversion can be seen in the text-critical note on Ephesians 5:9 in the New English Translation (NET) by Biblical Studies Press, L.L.C. The traditional reading is “Spirit,” while most modern translations have “light” instead

  • NET: for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness, and truth—
  • KJV: for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;

The Textus Receptus and Critical Texts differ in one word.

  • CT: ὁ γὰρ καρπὸς τοῦ φωτὸς ἐν πάσῃ ἀγαθωσύνῃ καὶ δικαιοσύνῃ καὶ ἀληθείᾳ
  • TR: ὁ γὰρ καρπὸς τοῦ πνεύματος ἐν πάσῃ ἀγαθωσύνῃ καὶ δικαιοσύνῃ καὶ ἀληθείᾳ

Excerpted from the NET Bible®:

Ephesians 5:9 tc Several mss (P46 D2 Ψ 1175* 1505 M) have πνεύματος (pneumatos, “Spirit”) instead of φωτός (phōtos, “light”) ... Further, the external evidence for φωτός is quite compelling (P49 א A B D* F G P 33 81 1175c 1739 1881 2464 latt co).

Notice how that, according to the NET, “Several mss” have “Spirit” (6 are listed), but the “external evidence for φωτός is quite compelling” – and over twice as many MSS are listed in support of that reading. This could impress the uninitiated that the majority of manuscripts support the reading φωτός/light. Nevertheless, the majority of extant manuscripts actually support the traditional reading – πνεύματος/Spirit. See, for example, the Majority Text of Robinson-Pierpont, which agrees with the Textus Receptus:

ὁ γὰρ καρπὸς τοῦ πνεύματος ἐν πάσῃ ἀγαθωσύνῃ καὶ δικαιοσύνῃ καὶ ἀληθείᾳ —

In my opinion, Critical Text advocates often find their tales in cracks and try to skew the evidence polemically toward their viewpoint rather than educationally pointing out the facts for readers to consider and make a choice. Again, I am not opposed to disputation in polemical fields of discussion. Nevertheless, text-critical notes in Bibles are not the place for such sleight-of-hand magic tricks!

8 comments:

Alex A. Hanna said...

if I am not mistaken, the "M" in the MSS/variant notes in the NET, and other CT apparatus-essssss, refers to the "M"ajority, which would be the great number of ms, which is suspiciously hidden in a one letter representation to give the impression of a single MS.

R. L. Vaughn said...

Alex, thanks for that information. I view the text notes in the NET Bible on BibleGateway.com, because they often have interesting comments. I had not thought about their use of "M". Good to know.

Of course, like me, many readers of the NET Bible notes may also not know what "M" stands for and could come away with the same impression. I need to get more up-to-date on this kind of thing. Some ways I still list in the past! Since I am not a CT guy, I do not buy every new edition they come out with. I still only own UBS3, which I purchased back in the early 1980s. I think in it M stands for a single manuscript -- GA 021 (also called Codex Campianus). Of course if I had looked up the detail, that "M" only contains the Gospels.

Thanks. I will look into this some more. Have a blessed day.

Alex A. Hanna said...

double check me on that, i thought i remember seeing it somewhere

R. L. Vaughn said...

According to two sources I found, Gothic 𝔐 is the NA apparatus symbol for Majority Text. I have not yet been able to confirm what it is for the NET Bible, though.

R. L. Vaughn said...

I found this site that purports to give the List of Abbreviations for the NET Bible Footnotes. Oddly, it gives an example that includes the "M" symbol -- "Most witnesses, including a few important ones (A* Θ Ψ 050 ƒ M latt syc,p,h)..." But nowhere did I find the "M" symbol explained! Maybe it is not there, or maybe it is and I failed to find it.

However, this statement seems to suggest "Byz" stands for the majority of miniscules: "The symbols for the minuscules are of three kinds: (a) Arabic numbers (e.g., 1, 565, 1739), each of which represents one manuscript; (b) “family 1,” [Ë1] “family 13” [Ë13] (involving a group of closely associated manuscripts); (c) Byz (involving the majority of Byzantine minuscules)."

I am not sure what to think.

Alex A. Hanna said...

i think that it is the majority of the byz, which is what the Majority Text is (correct?), and they use the symbol to give the impression of just (1) MS to the average reader - thus reduces the weight of the witness against what they want to pursue; my personal private subjective opinion.

Alex A. Hanna said...

from the question i asked in the NT Text Criticism FB page, from Hefin Jones:
Majority = 570 manuscripts out of 750 (those are actual not rounded numbers)

there are 750 mss of any kind of Ephesians. 570 of them contain the majority reading at 5:9.
570 το πνευματος
33 το φωτος
1 το πνευματος πως
1 του
2 other readings
1 unclear
1 bad microfilm image
140 lacuna

for the other MSS involved for the other reading:
All the ones I can see listed are individual manuscripts. P46 is the famous Pauline letter collection from the turn of the III century or so held in the Chester Beatty collection, D2 as its called here is Codex Claromontanus - once owned by Theodore Beza (though it is not "Codex Bezae" which is simply D or I'm guessing D1 in the NET bible's system). Psi is a majuscule manuscript, and 1175 and 1505 are minuscule manuscripts.

R. L. Vaughn said...

Alex, thanks so much for ferreting out this issue. I really appreciate it. I looked at the post you put on NT Textual Criticism. In the post there you pasted a clip and I see the problem. Bible Gateway loses the formatting so that the Gothic 𝔐 appears as an M instead. I should have caught that, since the Gothic 𝔓 papyrus symbol also loses its formatting. I will watch that in the future.

I appreciate the other useful information you got on the number of manuscripts. Thanks!