- affluenza, noun. A blend of ‘affluence’ and ‘influenza.’ A social disease resulting from excessive materialism and excessive consumerism. or desire for wealth, associated with negative effects.
- aglopened, adjective. Frightened, startled.
- brumal, adjective. Of, belonging to, or characteristic of winter; wintry.
- butterfingered, adjective. Having a tendency to let things fall or slip from one’s hands; characterized by such clumsiness. Also figurative: clumsy, bumbling.
- dunaker, noun. A cattle thief.
- etymon, noun. An earlier form of a word in the same language or an ancestral language (For example, Indo-European duwo and Old English twā are etymons of Modern English two).
- fisking, noun. The act of making an argument seem wrong or stupid by showing the mistakes in each of its points, or an instance of doing this. Named after Robert Fisk, a British journalist who was a frequent (and deserving) early target of such treatment.
- frankenfood, noun. Genetically modified food.
- illiterati, noun. People who are not well educated or well informed about a particular subject or sphere of activity.
- jabroni, noun. A stupid, objectionable, or ridiculous man; a loser, a knuckle-head.
- querulist, noun. A person who complains, a complainer.
- salvific, adjective. Of or relating to redemptive power.
- siderosous, adjective. Star-struck; (also) full of stars, starry.
- verbarian, adjective and noun. Of or relating to words.
- whataboutism, noun. The technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.
- zeugma, noun. A rhetorical figure in which a word or phrase is made to apply, in different senses, to two (or more) others, or (formerly) when it agrees grammatically with only one.
Saturday, January 19, 2019
(More) Just words
More words, for your enlightenment and pleasure! :-)