Translate

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Love one another, be hated by the world

John 15:17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Afterward, Jesus tells that those who love him and one another will be at odds with the world. “Love one another” is exceedingly important in its own right. It is extremely essential in light of the opposition Christians will face.

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
Christians are hated because of their association (i.e., guilt by association). The world hates Jesus. The world hates those associated with Jesus.

John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
Christians are hated because of their separation (i.e., guilt by “non-association”). They are not an integral feature of the world or world system. It is natural that “birds of a feather flock together.” The spiritual bond is supernatural, while the spiritual break in natural.

John 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
Christians are hated because of the necessity of consistency. Hatred runs consistently through the way the world which is at enmity with God views the things of God.

John 15:21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me.
Christians are hated because of ignorance, lack of knowledge. The world does not know God or his Son Jesus Christ. The world not only hates Jesus, but also hates God the Father (Cf. verse 23).

John 15:25 But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.
Christians are hated without a cause, without the haters knowing the cause. As with Christ, so with Christians.

John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world
Christians will receive hate, persecution, and tribulation at the hands of the world. Nevertheless, they can live in peace with good cheer – Jesus has overcome the world!

No comments: