Translate

Thursday, October 01, 2015

Carson's commotion

Recently presidential candidate Ben Carson stirred up a stink. On Meet the Press Carson said, "I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation. I absolutely would not agree with that." Trying to clarify or backtrack (according to which way you look at it) he later said that he could support a Muslim politician if that person would "clearly will swear to place our Constitution above their religion." 

First, I understand where Carson is coming from, considering the amount of opposition and terrorism our country and others suffer from radical Muslims. But his "clarification" goes too far to suit me -- at least it is not something I could swear. While I am a law-abiding citizen and believe in obedience to authority, I could not swear to place our Constitution above my church, or my government above my God."

On the other hand, his original comment inflamed silly sophists who cannot find the facts. Some shouted that our Constitution "expressly prohibits a religious test for office." Of course it does, you numbskulls, but our Constitution prohibits the government from setting a religious test -- it DOES NOT prohibit a voting citizen from setting a religious test for office. Any voters can set any test for any politician who is plying for their votes!

No comments: