- 5 Bookish Facts About American Reading Habits -- "The U.S. may not be the most avid country of readers on Earth..."
- Amazing American Civil War photos turned into glorious color -- "... Mads Dahl Madsen and Jordan J. Lloyd (who has since started Dynachrome, a digital image restoration agency), have done US history a favor by taking a number of the Civil War photographs available at the Library of Congress and turning them into realistic and beautiful looking color."
- Can You Solve These 10 Riddles? -- "So simple they are frustrating (but not so frustrating as the ads you have to wade through to see all the answers)."
- Free speech is flunking out on college campuses -- "College campuses have created “safe spaces” for all sorts of marginalized groups. But in the process, one member of the campus community has lost precious real estate."
- How An Affair Really Begins -- "You’ve built a bridge to Fantasy Island, and it’s now all but certain that you will walk across it."
- How ‘Playboy’ Magazine Legitimized Pornography—and Destroyed Itself in the Process -- "Nearly six decades ago [Playboy Magazine] began cultivating an appetite for sexual images that has grown hungrier and now is ravenous across our culture. Interestingly, the culture now no longer has a taste for what Playboy has to offer.
- How Trendy Dairy Alternative Almond Milk Is Having A Negative Effect On The Planet -- "...some brands of almond milk contain as little as two per cent almond, with the majority of the drink made up of water, sugar and often additives such as stabilisers and emulsifiers."
- I Was Breast-Fed Until I Was 5 — and I Remember It Vividly -- "While pregnant with me, my mother joined La Leche League, an international organization that provides research and support to breast-feeding mothers."
- It's Official: Terrorists Are Now the Persecuted Church's Greatest Threat -- "State Department releases latest report on religious freedom in nearly 200 countries."
- Lesbian, gay and bisexual Americans differ from general public in their religious affiliations -- "...a majority of LGB adults are religiously affiliated, according to a new Pew Research Center study. But they are much less likely to be Christian than the general public..."
- Making your job more interesting -- "Ha!"
- Yogi Berra's greatest quotes -- "Yogi Berra was as well known for his quotable quips as his Hall of Fame baseball career."
Tuesday, October 27, 2015
5 bookish facts, and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.