Translate

Friday, July 24, 2026

Don’t get puffy

1 Corinthians 8:1 “…Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.”

1 Corinthians 13:4 “Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up…”

Below is an excerpt from Dustin Benge writing about the church where he grew up. It was his family church for generations, with his relatives were buried in the nearby cemetery.

“The pastor preached from the KJV, visited the sick, and called unbelievers to repentance. We sang from the Heavenly Highway Hymnbook. I heard the gospel, was saved and called to preach in this church.

“When I began theological education, I quickly became puffed up with pride thinking I knew much more than everyone in this little southern church who were not as ‘intellectual and I was.’ Many years later, I came to realize that these faithful farmers, miners, teachers, truck drivers, veterans, and homemakers genuinely loved the Lord, the gospel of Christ, their neighbors, and desired to obey the Bible faithfully.

“…we must never dismiss those who faithfully serve the Lord.”

1 Corinthians 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

No comments: