Translate

Monday, January 15, 2024

Inspiration: Original action and Divine quality

Jon Gleason makes an important and helpful distinction regarding inspiration, one that he believes is “sorely neglected” (and I agree):

“This is, in my opinion, a hugely important topic that is sorely neglected in churches today. We’ve let [the teaching of B. B.] Warfield shift the focus on inspiration from the divine quality to the original action. But in doing so, and by neglecting Biblical teaching on preservation, we’ve undermined confidence in that Book in our hands! We’re so busy trying to be technically right that we’re being technical where God was practical, and missing the power of what God said, did, and has given us.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen! Jon Gleason has taught me more on inspiration than any of the "doctrine" books I read at the recommendation of the party-line, physical-evidence-only folks.

Anonymous said...

E. T. Chapman (I forgot to sign off above)

R. L. Vaughn said...

I think you may have been the one who pointed me to Gleason's writing. If so, thanks!

I really like his explanation of inspiration as not only an original action but also as a divine quality. The divine quality of God's words do not cease to exist after the original action. Amen and amen.