Translate

Sunday, October 29, 2023

The Sinner’s Plea

The hymn below was written in 1995 by David I. Lee, a Sacred Harp singer from southeastern Georgia. It takes a personal look at the sinfulness of man and the righteous judgment of God. It recognizes that the atonement of Jesus Christ on Calvary and God’s grace from that atonement is the only plea a sinner has before the judgment bar of God. The hymn is Common Meter Doubled (8.6.8.6.8.6.8.6.) and might be sung to any good C.M.D. tune. However, when David wrote the hymn, he also composed a good tune to go with it. The tune is named Marthasville, and this text & tune combination may be found in The Sacred Harp 2012 Cooper Revision on page 273.

1. Before the judgment bar of God,
I soon must trembling stand.
My worthless soul must answer all
Thy holy laws demand.
Thy justice, Lord, condemns my soul
For all eternity;
Yet I would plead a Saviour’s grace
To set a sinner free.

2. Behold how great my need, O Lord,
And how extreme my case.
My doom pronounced would flash like fire
And drive me from thy face.
But yet I call upon thy Son
Who died on Calvary;
Again I plead a Saviour’s grace
To set a sinner free.

David Lee comes from a family of Sacred Harp singers, and is the son of David J. “Johnny” Lee and Delorese Conner. He and his wife have 3 children. In addition to singing and songwriting, David is also a singing school teacher, and serves on the Board of Directors of the Sacred Harp Book Company. He is a member of the Mars Hill Primitive Baptist Church. With his cousin W. Clarke Lee, David owns and operates The Primitive Hymns, LLC. This corporation publishes The Primitive Hymns, Spiritual Songs, and Sacred Poems, by Benjamin Lloyd (more commonly called “Lloyd’s Hymn Book”).

No comments: