Translate

Sunday, April 09, 2023

Day by day

Deuteronomy 33:25 ...and as thy days, so shall thy strength be. (...din ålder vare såsom din ungdom.)

“Lina” Sandell-Berg (1832–1903) wrote the hymn “Day By Day” (Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder). She is called the “Fanny Crosby of Sweden.” 

Karolina Wilhelmina Sandell was born on October 3, 1832 in Fröeryd, Småland, Sweden. Her father was a Lutheran pastor who was part of the pietist movement in his church and country. In 1867 she married Oscar Berg. Lina Sandell wrote many religious hymn texts and other poems.  She died died July 27, 1903 is buried at Solna Church in Stockholm, Sweden.

Sandell wrote “Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sander” in 1865. Some believe this great song of assurance was informed and motivated somewhat by the tragic experience of witnessing the drowning of her father. The translation below was made by Andrew L. Skoog (1856-1934), a Swedish-American immigrant and member of the Evangelical Covenant Church. Skoog was a choir director, organist, composer, and hymnwriter who served as co-editor of several hymnals.

Oskar Ahnfelt (1813–1882) wrote for this hymn the tune Blott en dag, which named after its beginning words. He was a singer, composer and music publisher, sometimes called the “spiritual troubadour of Sweden.” He wrote music for many of Sandell’s hymns, so much so that she said, “Ahnfelt has sung my songs into the hearts of the people.” Though her hymns are better known in her native land, “Day By Day” and “Children of the Heavenly Father” are quite popular here in the United States.

1. Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He, whose heart is kind beyond all measure,
Gives unto each day what he deems best,
Lovingly its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

2. Ev’ry day the Lord himself is near me,
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares he fain would bear and cheer me,
He whose name is Counseller and pow’r.
The protection of his child and treasure
Is a charge that on himself he laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”—
This the pledge to me he made.

3.  Help me then, in ev’ry tribulation,
So to trust thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation,
Offered me within thy holy word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E'er to take, as from a father's hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.



No comments: