Translate

Sunday, February 05, 2023

Christ our Strength and Righteousness

Isaac Watts wrote “Christ our Strength and Righteousness,” which appeared in The Psalms of David: imitated in the language of the New Testament and applied to the Christian state and worship. It is written in Common Meter, with seven stanzas, the second part of the hymn on Psalm 71, associated with verses 15, 14, 16, 23, 22, 24. It is by the righteousness of Jesus Christ we are freed from sin. He is our strength and song. When we begin, there is no end to counting “the numbers of his grace.”

1. My Saviour, my almighty friend,
When I begin thy praise,
Where will the growing numbers end,
The numbers of thy grace?

2. Thou art my everlasting trust;
Thy goodness I adore!
And since I know thy graces first,
I speak thy glories more.

3. My feet shall travel all the length
Of the celestial road;
And march with courage in thy strength,
To see my Father God.

4. When I am fill’d with sore distress 
For some surprising sin, 
I’ll plead thy perfect righteousness, 
And mention none but thine.

5. How will my lips rejoice to tell
The victories of my King!
My soul, redeemed from sin and hell,
Shall thy salvation sing.

6. My tongue shall all the day proclaim
My Saviour and my God;
His death has brought my foes to shame,
And drown’d them in his blood.

7. Awake, awake my tuneful powers;
With this delightful song,
I’ll entertain the darkest hours,
Nor think the season long.

No comments: