Translate

Sunday, February 26, 2023

A Charge to Keep Have I

Charles Wesley wrote “A Charge to Keep Have I.” He published it initially in Short Hymns on Select Passages of the Holy Scriptures, Volume I in 1762 (Bristol: Printed by E. Farley). It is Hymn 188 on page 58. “A Charge to Keep Have I” is one of 18 hymns in the Leviticus section, pages 56-61. The hymn there is presented as two stanzas of Short Meter Double. In common practice today, it is four stanzas of Short Meter paired with a short meter tune. Lowell Mason’s Boylston seems to be a popular pairing. St. Thomas is another fitting tune for this hymn.

According to Melody Publications, the idea formed from a statement in Matthew Henry’s commentary. They write:

“The Wesleys had much congregational singing in their meetings, believing their hymns would help to convict sinners, encourage the saints, and educate all in the Christian faith. One day in 1762, as Charles was reading Matthew Henry’s commentary on Leviticus 8:35, the phrase “and keep the charge of the LORD” seemed to stand out. The Levitical priests had the responsibility of making sure that everything that took place at the Tabernacle of Israel was in accordance with the word and will of God. He believed that Christians are given a similar charge to keep.”

Leviticus 8:35 Therefore shall ye abide at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation day and night seven days, and keep the charge of the LORD, that ye die not: for so I am commanded. 

Of this passage, Matthew Henry writes:

“This chapter gives us an account of the solemn consecration of Aaron and his sons to the priest's office...They attended to keep the charge of the Lord: we have every one of us a charge to keep, an eternal God to glorify, an immortal soul to provide for, needful duty to be done, our generation to serve; and it must be our daily care to keep this charge, for it is the charge of the Lord our Master, who will shortly call us to an account about it, and it is at our utmost peril if we neglect it. Keep it that you die not; it is death, eternal death, to betray the trust we are charged with; by the consideration of this we must be kept in awe.”

Comparing Henry’s comments and Wesley’s hymn shows the connection. “To serve the present age, my calling to fulfill” may be derived from Acts 13:36.

188. Keep the charge of the Lord, that ye die not.—viii. 35.

1. A charge to keep I have, 
A God to glorify, 
A never-dying soul to save; Who gave his Son my soul to save
And fit it for the sky: 
To serve the present age, 
My calling to fulfill: 
O may it all my powers engage 
To do my Master’s will! 

2. Arm me with jealous care, 
As in thy sight to live, 
And O! thy servant, Lord, prepare 
A strict account to give: 
Help me to watch and pray, 
And on thyself rely, 
Assur’d, if I my trust betray,
I shall for ever die.

The last two lines of the original hymn seem (at least to me) to teach apostasy. That is consistent with the theology of the Wesleys and Methodism. Some Baptist hymnals apparently agree, and change those lines to “And let me ne’er my trust betray, but press to realms on high.” Less often, sometimes “A never-dying soul to save” is changed to “Who gave his Son my soul to save.”

No comments: