Translate

Monday, May 01, 2023

Questions on B. F. Dearmore and KJV

In an article titled “Greek vs. English” in The Message, May 28, 1959, independent Baptist pastor Benjamin Franklin Dearmore wrote:

“Do we actually have a Bible? I believe we do. If so, what is the Bible?...Some will say it is not either but it is the original. If that answer is true, we have no Bible for the original is not in existence.

“Others might say certain parts of each translation (or version) are correct and certain parts are incorrect. If this is true, we still have no Bible. Will we let the Catholic, Campbellite or the Baptist say which parts to accept?

“As for me, I will take the King James translation as the very Word of God for the English people. I believe it is without error. It is 100 percent correct.”

At the time Brother Dearmore wrote this he was pastor of the South Fort Worth Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas. He lived for nearly ten years after he wrote the above statement (died February 1969). I wonder if any of my readers have any insight on any of the following questions (some raised by others to sort of cast doubt on his position).

  • Did he remain consistent with his defense of the King James translation?
  • Did he write anything else about the King James translation and/or other Bible versions – either before or after 1959?
  • Have any KJV defenders mentioned B. F. Dearmore as having influenced them on their KJV position?[i]
  • Have any writers listed B. F. Dearmore in the bibliographies of their writings?[ii]

As for other writings by B. F. Dearmore, I am aware that he wrote and published a 12-page pamphlet titled The Church. I do not personally doubt Dearmore’s consistency or influence, but am interested in locating more evidence.


[i] Through my own church connections, I am aware of some preachers and churches with some connection to B. F. Dearmore who were/are King James Bible defenders. I am not aware of anything in print, however. Note: I do not think it has to be in print to be influential, but “in print” in particularly what I am trying to document. For example, Ruckmanism.org brushes Dearmore aside for lack of material in print. However, it should be remembered that Dearmore was a influential pastor who preached in conferences across the United States (at least southern U.S.) and taught in Bible Colleges.
[ii] I am aware that David Cloud mentions him in his 1995 book For Love of the Bible: the Battle for the Authorized Version and the Received Text from 1800 to Present, but am interested if others have done so.

The Bowie News, December 15, 1944, page 1

No comments: