Translate

Thursday, March 25, 2010

God our Shepherd

PSALM 23, S. M.
God our Shepherd.

The Lord my Shepherd is,
I shall be well supplied;
Since he is mine and I am his,
What can I want beside?

He leads me to the place
Where heav'nly pasture grows,
Where living waters gently pass,
And full salvation flows.

If e'er I go astray,
He doth my Soul reclaim;
And guides me in his own right way,
For his most holy name.

While he affords his aid
I cannot yield to fear;
Though I should walk through death's dark shade,
My Shepherd's with me there.

In sight of all my foes,
Thou dost my table spread;
My cup with blessings overflows,
And joy exalts my head.

The bounties of thy love
Shall crown my following days;
Nor from thy house will I remove,
Nor cease to speak thy praise.

Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
The Psalms of David, 1719

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When our wanderings take us away from green pastures and the solace of our Lord, we begin to travel a lost highway. It is a highway that takes us to fields which have turned brown. It is these fields which are unyielding and lie dormant. If we shall walk with the Lord, then we will eventually come back into the presence of the lush fields of paradise.