Translate

Monday, April 22, 2019

Bonnie banks o’ Loch Lomond

O ye’ll take the high road, and I’ll take the low road,
And I’ll be in Scotland a’fore ye,
But me and my true love will never meet again,
On the bonnie, bonnie banks o’ Loch Lomond.

We used to sing this song when I was in school (in Junior High, I think). I don’t recall anyone ever explaining what it meant. The teacher probably did, and I just wasn’t listening. A Scottish preacher gave the following explanation in a sermon I heard. He made a point about the death of a Christian. I now understand there are various versions of the “true meaning” of the song, but this explanation is by a Scotsman and a preacher, so I’m taking this story and sticking to it!
The song is about two Scottish prisoners held in an English jail and the song is penned the night before one is to be hanged and the other is to be released, and the one who is to be hanged will reach Scotland by the low road of death before the one who is to be released will reach Scotland by means of the high road journey. The one who is about to be released feels bad for the one who is about to be hanged. The one who is about to be hanged says, “Don’t feel bad for me,” because “you’ll take the high road and I’ll take the low road and I’ll be in Scotland before you!”
Loch Lomond by Peter Hollens
Loch Lomond by Peter Hollens and David Archuleta

No comments: