- 20 Tips on How to Use Bible Commentaries -- "If you use commentaries too early, they will take over and suppress your own thought."
- A Word of Empathy, Warning, and Counsel for “Narrow” Complementarians --"If the narrow camp is driven by a biblicist impulse, the “broad” camp is driven by a theological impulse."
- Beautiful Poetry Anthologies for Children -- "...here is a list of my favorite poetry anthologies to use with children."
- Beware of the Counsel of Gamaliel -- "Gamaliel is often preferred above Paul. If the apostle clearly condemns something, his word is pushed aside in favour of Gamaliel’s."
- Give Me Doctrine or Give Me Death -- "Real freedom is seeing clearly."
- Greek New Testament Vocabulary Lists -- "According to a number of studies, a person needs to know 95% of the words in order to deduce the meaning of the others from the context."
- Hapax Legomena-- "...only 400 are, strictly, 'hapax legomena'..."
- Hosius on the Anabaptists -- "While some of the quotes given by Baptist authors appear to derive from original translations of Hosius' Latin, many are taken from Shacklock's translation."
- Problems With Peshitta Primacy -- "For those of you who are not familiar with Peshitta Primacy, it is the belief that the Syriac Peshitta (the Syriac Bible) is the original text of the New Testament."
- The General Structure of a Worship Service -- "The services of the church are of two kinds: (1) 'the Word-of-God Service', the main service of the Lord's Day, comprised of praise, prayer, the reading of Scripture, preaching, and the blessing; and (2) 'the Service of the Upper Room', or Lord's Supper..."
- The Reading of Holy Scripture -- "The first recorded instance of Scripture being read in a public assembly is to be found in Exodus 24:7."
- The Story of Ἀρσενοκοίτης according to BDAG -- "If you love God as he truly is and your neighbors as they truly are before God, you won’t rejoice in the sin that is harming those neighbors. If you wish for a good society protected by a strong moral canopy, you will love your neighbor enough to humbly call him to repentance."
- The Truth about Men, Women, and Sex -- "Saying that it’s all on men to change their behavior may signal progressive virtue online, but it will do little to diminish real-life grief. The realities of sexual exchange will not disappear and cannot be eviscerated by fiat or reformed by speech rules. And eventually, the social media shaming will come to an end. Then what?"
- Tracing the Cardinal Hosius “Baptist” Quote -- "This is probably where the quote came from."
- Trusted Voices on Translations -- "...a sampling of testimonies from some of these trusted voices is reprinted here for your prayerful consideration."
- What Erasmus Thought of the First of Luther’s 95 Theses -- "The first of Luther’s 95 Theses was basically a critique of Jerome’s translation of “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”"
Monday, April 16, 2018
20 Tips on Commentaries, and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.