- 4 Reasons You Should Add a Regular Prayer Service to Your Church Calendar -- "...I have, alongside our elders, led our body to begin a regular Sunday-evening prayer service."
- Alt-Righty Then -- "I have noticed for some decades that evangelical Christians are adept at adopting worldly fashions ten years after the world has done adopted them, and then doing it worse."
- Among Christians in U.S., More Education does not Equal Less Religion: Study -- "...while higher levels of education equal lower levels of religious commitment among Americans in general, that pattern does not ring true among Christians."
- Anatomy of a Church Merger -- "God is sovereign over the affairs of local churches."
- Christian Standard Bible: the Atlantic got it right... -- "Hammering away at the Atlantic's simple observation that his denomination's Bible version has gone gender neutral, Burk is aghast that anyone would question his credentials and the credentials of his denomination as defenders of male headship and the plenary inspiration of Scripture."
- Court rules in favor of religious beliefs law -- "A three-judge panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a judge’s decision that had blocked the law."
- Doctor Blows Whistle on Chemotherapy -- "Dr. Peter Glidden talks about the incredibly low success rate for chemotherapy as a cancer treatment."
- Illinois Catholic bishop decrees no Holy Communion, funerals for same-sex couples -- "The bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Springfield, Ill., is calling on priests there to deny Holy Communion and even funeral rites to people in same-sex unions unless they show “some signs of repentance” for their relationships before death."
- Polk inmates save deputy who passed out during work detail -- "The officer, who asked not to be identified, collapsed."
- The Secularist Media War Against the Ark Continues -- "I’ve found that not only do these kinds of reporters generally do very poor or lazy research, they will actually make things up for their agenda purposes."
- “What I Am ’Tis Hard To Know”: Primitive Baptists, The Protestant Self, and The American Religious Imagination -- "This dissertation demonstrates that an approach centered on the relationship between Primitive Baptist faith and selfhood offers the most compelling explanation of how the Primitives’ personal spiritual crises animated wide-ranging battles over religious doctrine, cultural authority, and social class in a changing American South."
- You can be fined for not calling people ‘ze’ or ‘hir,’ if that’s the pronoun they demand that you use -- "The NYCHRL [New York City Human Rights Law] requires employers [, landlords, and all businesses and professionals] to use an [employee’s, tenant’s, customer’s, or client’s] preferred name, pronoun and title..."
Friday, June 23, 2017
4 Reasons, and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.