- Bluegrass Pioneer Ralph Stanley Dies At 89 -- "Ralph and his older brother Carter started out in the late 1940s as a duo...Stanley's sound came in part from the fact that he often sang in a minor key, while his band played in a happy-sounding major key."
- Guided by Voices: Finding Grace Through Shape-Note Singing -- "All freshmen were required to take a two-semester course, Introduction to Fine Arts, taught by Mary Oyer. She asked us to sing familiar Mennonite hymns with her..."
- Provident Music Group Announces Promotion of Ben Howard To EVP, Provident Films -- "Having worked among a variety of companies in the entertainment industry, Ben Howard has been living at the crossroads of art, commerce, and faith for 20 years. "
- Sacred Harp: Singing purely for the joy of singing -- "It’s weird and it’s beautiful. What else do you need to know?"
- Sacred Harp Singing Worship -- "Sacred Harp singing, involves, no instruments, no sacred text, just a song book and lines of sheet music. But not just any sheet music."
- Shapes of the Heart -- "And so the best place, then, for me to start this story, even though it is really about Sacred Harp music -- and I promise I will get us there, eventually -- is in a church basement in Tacoma..."
- Stairway to Heaven keeps its glory -- "...a 2014 lawsuit said the first two minutes of Stairway to Heaven bore similarity to Spirit's instrumental track Taurus."
- Why You Need to Sing Loudly in Church -- "Five reasons you have no choice but to sing in church on Sunday"
- “Wood Street”: On the sound and Psalm 137 references of the Sacred Harp song -- "That howling and misery, I think, reached people, and they thought: Yes, that’s the way it is."
Sunday, June 26, 2016
Bluegrass Pioneer, and other music links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.