- Are smarter people actually less racist? -- "His conclusion is that while many intelligent Americans might think of themselves as progressive, they might not be entirely prepared to stand by their stated views on race."
- Glossary of Theological Terms -- "What follows is a brief discussion of a series of terms that you are likely to encounter in the course of reading works dealing with Christianity and historical theology."
- Robert Duncan Culver on the Deleterious Effect of Sensationalism on Premillennialism -- "...the most grievous wounds to millennial faith have been inflicted by overzealous and sensationalist advocates among writers and preachers."
- Seven Theses on Church Polity -- "It is a mistake to try to discuss the nature of the office of elder without speaking clearly of what constitutes “office”."
- Suit Accuses Georgia Department of Public Health of Terminating Doctor Because of His Sermons -- "Dys pointed out that an internal email from DPH Human Resources Director Lee Rudd shows that state employees were assigned to review Walsh’s sermons, available online."
- The Age of Secular Pharisees -- "Today, we increasingly live in a culture of secular Pharisees—non-religious people convinced of their own righteousness who view Jesus as a morally inferior kook followed only by simpletons."
- The Boss Doesn’t Want Your Résumé -- "‘Blind hiring’ focuses on a person’s talents rather than education and prior experience."
- The problem of the half-churched Christian -- "...a smaller and smaller percentage of church members seem to be in church on the average Sunday morning."
- The Role of History in Recovering the Evangelical Mind: An Interview with Nathan Finn -- "One of the besetting sins of evangelicalism is a mostly ahistorical approach to theology and praxis, often at the popular level, but also among many pastors, scholars, and other ministry leaders."
- ‘Trust us’ is not enough -- "Originally published in January 2007, the book details the freewheeling spending of Bob Reccord, former president of the North American Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention."
- What is the origin of America’s annual Thanksgiving Day? -- "The grateful Pilgrims then declared a three-day feast, starting on December 13, 1621, to thank God and to celebrate with their Indian friends."
- Why are so many smart people such idiots about philosophy? -- "Historically, physics and mathematics have often overlapped with philosophy, and many great scientists engaged with philosophers to advance their own thinking."
- 6-year-old Afghan girl's murder puts spotlight on history of discrimination and abuse in Iran -- "The brutality of the April 9 incident shocked Afghans, who have complained for years about facing violence and injustice in Iran, where millions live as refugees."
Thursday, May 26, 2016
Smarter people, and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.