- Jesus came for sinners – 1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. Jesus came to earth “in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh” (Romans 8:3).
- Jesus sought sinners – Luke 19:10 For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost. He needed to go through Samaria in order to save an adulterous woman (See John 4:4ff).
- Jesus called sinners – Mark 2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Matthew 9:13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Cf. Luke 5:32
- Jesus forgave sinners – Luke 7:36-48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven.
- Jesus justified sinners – Luke 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other...
- Jesus received sinners – Luke 15:2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.
- Jesus befriended sinners – Matthew 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children. Cf. Luke 7:34
- Jesus died for sinners – Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
All have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.
[Derived from a piece by Daniel E. Parks]