- 10 popular grammar myths debunked by a Harvard linguist -- "You can't begin a sentence with a conjunction."
- Admonitions to a Disappointed Young-Earther -- "A supernatural origin transcends the nature of the thing created and leaves no mark on its nature to identify it with supernatural origin. How old something is in its nature does not depend on when it was supernaturally created."
- Constitution Check: Is freedom of conscience a shield against public duty? -- "There is no right, [Kim Davis] has asserted, to get a marriage license in a specific spot within a state, when, as a practical matter, there are in Kentucky some 130 places where such a license is actually now available."
- Gerrymandering Snafu Puts Proposed Tax Hike In The Hands Of A Single Voter -- "Business leaders in Columbia, Missouri, are caught in a web of their own spinning Monday, after their attempt to keep citizens from casting ballots on a sales tax measure inadvertently left the proposed tax's fate in the hands of just one voter."
- Kentucky Clerk Didn’t Follow Christianity Before Converting To It -- "Perhaps the most interesting thing about her past, given that she’s waging a (losing) religious liberty battle, is that she is apparently a recent convert to Christianity"
- Man-splaining Is No Excuse For Invading Girls’ Locker Rooms -- "The 150 Missouri girls who walked out of their locker room when a young man barged in, insisting he’s a woman, are courageous and deserve admiration, not man-splaining."
- Ministers, churches seek end to ‘mission tourism’ -- "Baptist leaders say the historic, western style of short-term mission trips were more about self-fulfillment rather than transforming the lives of impoverished people."
- Professors Threaten Bad Grades for Saying 'Illegal Alien,' 'Male,' 'Female' -- "Politically correct professors at Washington State University are reportedly planning to give students bad grades if they use 'oppressive and hateful language' like 'illegal alien', 'male' and 'female'."
- To My Daughter With Down Syndrome on Her Wedding Day -- "You’re the nicest person I know. Someone who is able to live a life of empathy and sympathy, and without agendas or guile, is someone we all want to know."
- Why unschooling is the next wave of home-based education for kids -- "Imagine if your child's school day started with him packing his lunch, grabbing his canteen and marching off into the horizon."
Thursday, September 03, 2015
10 myths, and other links
The posting of links does not constitute an endorsement of the sites linked, and not necessarily even agreement with the specific posts linked.