Translate

Saturday, May 30, 2015

People may say, and other music quotes

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing." -- Florence Foster Jenkins

"In the old 'Southern Harmony; and the later 'Sacred Harp' there are songs and melodies which have not been excelled by any composition of the more pretentious writers and composers of the latter days." -- from the Winfield Enterprise, Marion County, AL, July 20, 1899

"Life is a song - sing it." -- Sai Baba

"Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back." -- Plato

"Singing is my passion, my first love and the secret of my energy. Music to me is like finding my inner self, my soul." -- Kailash Kher

"The only thing better than singing is more singing." -- Ella Fitzgerald

"The Author, having different views upon the science of music from those published in other works, did not feel satisfied that they should lie hidden in mystery for ages yet to come, while, by an exposition of them, he may enlighten millions yet unborn." -- John Gordon McCurry, in his Preface to The Social Harp

"Some authors direct that A in la and fa shall be sounded as it is in father; but I greatly prefer the broad sound as in law, as being more musical and dignified." -- Samuel Wakefield, p. 9 in Minstrel of Zion 

 "This work seeks not a place in the higher departments of poetry and music. It is rather designed as a contribution to the songs of plain Christian people, who make little pretensions to highly cultivated musical and poetical taste." -- William Hunter, p. 3 in Minstrel of Zion

"Many of the airs in this book I learned in childhood from the sweet voice of my mother." -- William Hauser in his Preface to The Hesperian Harp

No comments: