Translate

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Spiritual gifts

I have been looking at, comparing and contrasting the lists of spiritual gifts found in the Apostle Paul's writings (Rom. 12:6-8; I Cor. 12:8-10; 12:28; Eph. 4:11). I am considering these lists in light of I Peter 4:10-11:
Quote: As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If any man speak (laleo), let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister (diakoneo), let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

It appears from Peter that there are two broad divisions of ministry/gifts -- speaking and serving.

Is it appropriate, and not wresting the Scriptures, to consider that all the spiritual gifts can and do fit into these two categories?

 Here are the gifts from the other passages:
 Romans 12:6-8 -- prophecy, ministry, teaching, exhortation, giv(ing), rul(ing), shew(ing) mercy.
 I Corinthians 12:8-10 -- the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, faith, gifts of healing, working of miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, divers kinds of tongues, interpretation of tongues.
 I Corinthians 12:28 -- apostles, prophets, teachers, miracles, gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
 Ephesians 4:11 -- apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers.

I question considering faith, hope and love as used in I Corinthians 13:13 as the same kind of spiritual gifts as in these other lists. My initial reaction is that the "faith" listed in I Cor. 12:9 as a gift is something different from the faith spoken of in I Cor. 13.

No comments: