Translate

Sunday, June 25, 2023

Come, by Christina Rossetti

Christina Georgina Rossetti (1830-1894) was an English poet. She wrote a good deal of devotional religious poetry, much of it designed for children. Her father was from Italy, and her mother also had Italian background. Some will recognize lines such as these:

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can give Him: give my heart.

The following poem can be found in The Poetical Works of Christina Georgina Rossetti, with a Memoir and Notes by William Michael Rossetti (London: Macmillan and Co., 1904), under the title “Advent,” on page 148. Underneath the poetry is the date “12 December 1851.”

1. “Come,” Thou dost say to Angels,
To blessed Spirits, “Come”
“Come,” to the lambs of Thine own flock,
Thy little ones, “Come home.”

2. “Come,” from the many-mansioned house
The gracious word is sent;
“Come,” from the ivory palaces
Unto the Penitent.

3. O Lord, restore us deaf and blind,
Unclose our lips though dumb:
Then say to us, “I come with speed,”
And we will answer, “Come.”

I am not aware that this poem has ever been set to music. However, it appears it could be rendered well with common meter tunes such as New Britain, Avon, and others. I especially liked trying it with Ortonville.

No comments: